For the first time I tried vegetable kurma at home and the taste was really great. It is great side dish with roti or paratha. You can have this with rice as well. Ingredient list may be little long however the cooking procedure is not at all complicated.
Vegetable Kurma / Vegetable Korma Recipe
Potato – 1 medium, boiled, peeled and cubed
Green peas – 1/4 cup
Carrot – 1 medium, cut into dice shape
French beans – 5 to 7 nos, cut into 1 inch
Coconut – scrapped, 3 tablespoons
Green chillies- 2 to 3
Poppy seeds (khuskhus/posto) – 1 teaspoon
Cashewnuts – 6
Fennel seeds (saunf) – 1 teaspoon
Green cardamom – 1
Clove – 1
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Onion – 1 medium , sliced
Garlic – 10 cloves, chopped
Fresh coriander leaves – handful, chopped, for garnishing (Optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice -1/2 tablespoon
1. Take scrapped coconut, cashew nuts, poppy seeds, fennel seeds and green chilli in a grinder and make a smooth paste.
2. Parboil (cook 60n- 70%) the vegetables (potato, carrot, beans, green peas) and drain the water, keep aside.
3. Now heat oil in a pan and add whole spices including green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon stick and saute for a minute.
4. Next add sliced onions and chopped garlic and saute till they are translucent.
5. Add the parboiled vegetables salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook till the vegetables get cooked.
6. Finally add the ground paste and cook for few minutes. Next add lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: You can also add other vegetables like cauliflower and capsicum.