The concept of this cake was taken from our childhood (me & my husband) memories. A cake which used to contain loads of tutti fruti and ash gourd sugar candy. It was known as “Tiffin Cake” in West Bengal, wrapped in typical red printed cover. Many of the Bongs might be familiar with this cake. I have not seen this cake anywhere except West Bengal. Now it is almost extinct in West Bengal too due to lot of fancy cakes. Ash gourd candy is also known as Morobba.
Tiffin Cake / Cake with Tutti Frutti & Ash Gourd Candy
All Purpose Flour / Maida – 21/2 cups
Eggs – 5 to 6
Butter – 3/4 to 1 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup
Baking Soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking Powder – 2 teaspoon
Nutmeg Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – a pinch
Tutti Frutti – 1/4 cup
Ash Gourd Sugar Candy – 1/4 cup, chopped
1. Preheat the oven at 160 degree C for 5 minutes. Now line the cake tin with a butter paper.
2. Sieve the flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg powder.
3. Now in a bowl, take melted butter and add sugar into it. Beat them well.
4. Next add the eggs one by one and beat well the wet mixture and finally add the milk.
5. After that fold the dry mix into wet mix and mix them using cut and fold method.
6. In a bowl take the tutti frutti and ash gourd candies and dust them with flour and add them in the batter.
7. Now pour the batter in cake tin and bake it for 25 minutes or until you get a clean toothpick once you insert in the cake.