Soya pulao is a wholesome meal which gives you portion of carb (carbohydrate) as well as protein. I have added carrots and green peas which make it more nutritious. Meal maker pulao is a very good option of one pot meal for both vegetarians and non vegetarians.
Since my daughter started going to formal school (completed preschool) we had a huge change in our daily routine. And I believe this change was much needed. Normally, I am a night person so getting up early and then preparation of two boxes (read snack box and lunch box) was quite challenging initially. Slowly I have adapted the change but I will tell you one thing still lot more change is required to get used to this routine.
Have you ever faced this kind of challenge where you have to come out from your comfort zone and accommodate things according to the requirement? I would love to listen to your story too.
People might thing this is not a challenge or problem, but until you face the situation you cannot judge. We learn from the small changes and it would be really great to listen from the other side and be inspired.
While I was slowly adapting the changes our regular meal menu also had some changes. Instead of typical Bengali platter now we have started one pot quick meals or parathas/rotis for lunch and we enjoy our fish curry rice in dinner (not daily) or on weekends.
Coming to this soya pulao recipe, it is very flavourful rice which you can enjoy with curd or raita or any curry. I can eat this just like that. You can use frozen peas instead of fresh peas.
Now you might ask why I am sharing such an easy recipe like soya pulao. As I always say I share easy and tasty recipes which is handy in day-to-day life. This recipe will help a busy mom or a bachelor or a tired wife and there is no compromise of nutrition. You can prepare soya pulao in pressure cooker as well as in rice cooker.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Serving – 2
Soya Pulao/ Soyabean Pulao/ Meal maker Pulao
Soya Chunks – 1 cup
Basmati Rice – 11/2 cup
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Carrot – 1 medium, chopped into fine squares
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Tomato Puree – 2 tablespoon
Bay Leaf – 1
Salt to taste
Refined Oil – 3 tablespoon
1. Clean and soak the rice for 15 minutes and later drain the water.
2. Soak the soya chunks in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. The soya chunks will increase the size after soaking the water. Drain the excess water and rinse them with clean water 2 to 3 times to remove the raw smell.
4. Heat a pan and add one tablespoon of oil and sauté the soya chunks with little salt, turmeric powder and garma masala powder (1/4 teaspoon). Later keep them aside.
5. Heat remaining 2 tablespoon of oil and add a bay leaf into it.
6. Next add chopped onions and fry them till they are translucent.
7. Add chopped carrots, green peas, and ginger and cook for few minutes.
8. After that add all the dry spices including turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder. Mix them well.
9. After 3 to 4 minutes add tomato puree and cook until the raw smell is gone.
10. Finally add fried soya chunks and soaked rice and mix with the spices.
11. Now add adequate water ( 3 cups approx.) and adjust the salt. Allow it to boil.
12. When it starts boiling cover with a lid and cook under a medium flame.
13. After 10 to 15 minutes when water is almost dried, switch off the gas and give a standing time of 5 minutes.
14. Serve hot with curd / raita / any curry.
NB: When the water is almost dried you will see small holes on the surface of the rice. That means your pulao is done.
If you want to prepare this soya pulao in pressure cooker, after adding water close the lid of the cooker and allow 2 to 3 whistle (depends on the rice variety you are using). After the pressure releases your soya pulao is ready to serve.
If you want to use rice cooker after step 10 add the rice soya chunk mixture into rice cooker. Add adequate water and cover the lid and cook mode on. Once it is cooked the cook mode will automatically turned off and after 5 minutes switch off the power switch and serve it hot.