Spinach is rich in iron so you are putting nutritious palak/spinach in your kid’s lunch box and I bet your kid will say ‘mumma pasta in green sauce was super delicious’. I would say don’t reveal the secret ingredient spinach to your kid instead you say pasta in spinach sauce. Sometimes we (mommies) should use tricks to deal with your picky eater.
As I said earlier, palak/spinach pairs well with garlic hence I have given garlicy flavour to the pasta.
Instead of butter you can use olive oil but again use of butter will enhance the taste of the recipe. If you are making pasta in spinach sauce for adults, then you can throw one or two green chilli while blending spinach leaves. You can always add more or less cheese according to your taste bud. Now it’s mid November and everywhere in India markets are flooded with fresh spinach bundles. So what are you waiting for! This lush green pasta in palak sauce will definitely keep away your Monday blues.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes
Pasta in Spinach Sauce / Macaroni in Spinach Sauce
Spinach Leaves (Palak) – 3 cups, tightly packed
Macaroni – 11/2 cup
Salt to taste
Garlic – chopped, 2 teaspoon
Cheese – grated, 2 tablespoon
Butter – 1 tablespoon
Refined oil – 1 tablespoon
Oregano – 1 teaspoon
Milk – 1 cup
1. Clean the spinach leaves and blanch them in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Drain the water and make smooth puree in blender and keep aside.
3. Boil water in a heavy bottom vessel and cook macaroni in this. Add a tablespoon of refined oil and little salt. This will help to prevent the pastas from sticking with each other. Cooking of pasta may take 7 to 8 minutes or little more time.
4. After the macaroni are cooked drain the water (use a colander to drain the water) and keep it (macaroni) under running water. Cold water helps to prevent the pastas from getting overcooked.
5. Now heat butter in a pan and add chopped garlics and sauté for few minutes.
6. Later add the spinach puree and cook until the raw smell is gone.
7. Next add milk and mix it well and cook for few minutes.
8. Now add salt to taste and oregano and give a good mix.
9. Add the boiled macaroni and toss them in spinach sauce. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
10. Switch off the gas and add the grated cheese on top and serve hot.
N.B.: Spinach sauce has to be in right consistency. It should not be watery or dried up. The right consistency of the spinach sauce will be absorbed by the pasta. If the sauce is drying up you can add little milk or water and if the consistency of the sauce is runny in texture, boil for some more time to make it little thick. If it is too runny I would suggest to add 1 tablespoon of flour roasted in butter into the sauce. However, mix it evenly to avoid any lump