In weekdays we all follow lean diet and eat healthy foods but when it comes to weekend we forget all diet controls and resolutions and balance our weekly lean diet with a heavy calorie intake. This way every weekend we end up with an intake of high calorie rich food and this weekend was not also an exceptional in my house. I know you are trying to figure out the recipe. Obviously a non-veg dish and it was famous Mutton Kasha (Mutton Curry). Here is the recipe famous in Bengal.
Mutton Kasha (Mutton Curry)
Mutton – 500 gm ( medium pieces)
Potato – 3 big size (Cut into big blocks)
Onion paste – 1 cup
Onion slices – 1 cup
Garlic paste – 2 teaspoon
Ginger paste – 21/2 teaspoon
Tomato paste – 1/2 cup
Green chilli paste – 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 2 teaspoon
Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Dry red chilli – 1 or 2
Bay leaf – 1
Garam masala whole (Cinnamon stick – 1 inch , Clove – 2, Cardamom – 2)
Turmeric Powder – 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Curd – 1 cup
Mustard oil – 1/2 cup
Ghee – 1 tablespoon
1. Marinate the mutton pieces with curd, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and ginger paste for at least one to two hour.If you don’t have curd can use white vinegar but addition of curd enhance the taste and consistency of the gravy.
2. Now fry the potato pieces with salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
3. Heat mustard oil along with two teaspoon of desi ghee in a pan. Season the oil with bay leaf, dry red chilli and garam masala whole.
4. Then add onion slices for frying. Addition of little salt and sugar will help to give a nice color and make translucent onions.
5. After frying the onion slices for sometime, add onion, ginger garlic and green chilli paste. Cook well all the spices and it starts giving nice aroma.
6. Now it’s time to add the marinated mutton pieces into it and cook it covering with a lid.
7. When one side of the mutton has changed the color, turn the other side and cook again with covering a lid. 8. Now add remaining coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Stir it and add the tomato paste into the gravy which gives a nice color to the curry. Balance the sourness by adding sugar.
9. As mutton takes time to cook, we will use pressure cooker. Before pouring the curry into pressure cooker we shall add fried potato pieces and enough water, also taste the salt of the gravy.
10. Cover the lid and wait for 3 to 4 whistles in medium flame. Do not open the lid immediately by force releasing the pressure. Wait for some time and serve hot Mutton Kasha in your Sunday platter and do not think about diet control at that moment!!