Though I have mentioned that you can use frozen peas when there is no availability of fresh green peas but I would also say try it with the fresh peas. You will get the actual test of this pakoras. Now coming to the recipe if you check the ingredient list you will find ginger, asafoetida or hing, cumin seeds in it. I will tell you these three ingredient complements the taste of green peas or I can say enhance the taste. Peas Kachori or Matar ke Kachori is a famous dish from West Bengal where we use these three spices (ginger, asafoetida, cumin) along with matar and if you had them you know the taste of it. If you have not try them you should include it to your to do list. That’s cooking, mix and match of ingredients helps to enhance the test of the primary ingredient. While preparing these pakoras I had the same concept in my mind and I included those three spices in the pakoras as well. Apart from adding to dals, curries and pulaos I also prepare Green Peas Masala when I have excess stock of Green Peas. What is you favourite recipe with green peas or hare matar? Do share with me and till I come with a new post try this recipe and share your feedback and keep visiting my blog…
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Matar ka Pakora/ Green Peas Fritters / Peas Pakora
Green Peas – 11/2 cup
Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
Onion – 1 medium size, finely chopped
Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Green Chilli – chopped, 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves – chopped, 2 tablespoon
Gram flour/Besan – 2/3 to 1 cup
Cooking Soda – a pinch
Refined Oil – 1 to 2 cups for deep frying
1. Boil the peas in a pressure cooker for 1 or 2 whistle. Drain the water and allow them to cool.
2. Now coarsely mash the peas using a masher or back of a ladle.
3. Mix chopped onion, coriander leaves, ginger, green chilli with the coarsely mashed green peas/ matar.
4. Next add salt, cumin seeds, asafoetida, cooking soda and mix well.
5. Now add the gram flour/besan to the mixture. The moisture present in the mixture will help to bind the gram flour. If required add 1 or 2 tablespoon of water. The mixture will be dry in nature not liquid kind of batter.
6. Heat oil in a pan and add lemon size ball mixture in to the oil. Deep fry them under medium flame until they are golden brown.
7. Serve hot with tea or coffee or ketchup or chutney.