Masoor Musallam / Dal Musallam
Whole Masoor Dal with skin – 11/2 cup
Onion- 2 medium, chopped
Ginger Paste – 11/2 teaspoon
Garlic- 3 to 4 cloves, crushed
Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder- 1 teaspoon
Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder- 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Green Chillies – 2
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Refined Oil – 2 tablespoon
1. Wash and soak the dal overnight and drain the water before cooking it.
2. Take 1 tablespoon ghee and 1 tablespoon oil in a pressure cooker. After heating oil add chopped onions. Fry them till they are translucent.
3. Next goes crushed garlic pods and ginger paste. Mix them well and start adding the dry spices (turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt).
4. Once the dry spices are mixed add chopped tomatoes. Cook until raw smell is gone.
5. Next add the soaked dal and adjust the water level in the pressure cooker. Allow for 2 to 3 whistles under medium flame. Allow to release the pressure.
6. Now once the dal is little cooled add the beaten curd/yogurt into it and mix well. Sprinkle garam masala powder on top.
7. In another pan take remaining ghee and oil. After heating them add cumin seeds and green chillies, once they start crackling, add this to the dal and mix well. You can garnish with coriander leaves.