When I talk about Onam I remember my lunch with my Malayali colleagues on the day of Onam. I was the only one person odd woman out in that group in that particular day. They were very friendly and decided to take one bong in their group for the Onam Sadya. Memories are really sweet! This year I prepared paal payasam during Onam but could not post it on time due to my busy schedule. Then I thought sweet recipes can be shared any time, isn’t it.
I have prepared Paal payasam in pressure cook method. This is the first time I am preparing any payasam recipe in pressure cook method. I was worried about the outcome but it turned out superb. Normally in this recipe kerala raw rice (unakkalari) is used. I have used Kolam rice. It will take almost one hour time and after that you can put it in the refrigerator and serve chill. You can reduce the time to cook the payasam by doing some advance work. Previous day you can boil and reduce the milk. Cool the milk and keep it in the refrigerator. Next day you can prepare the payasam. Actually, reducing the milk take lot of time. So if you can do that part in advance, it helps to reduce the cooking time next day. If you do not prefer chilled payasam then allow it to cool and later serve it. If you love payasam you can check the following recipes:
Kerala Style Paal Payasam
Kolam Rice – 1 cup
Full Fat Milk – 1 liter
Sugar – 2/3 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Cashew Nuts – 8 to 10
1. Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes and later drain the water.
2. Boil milk and reduce the quantity to approx 700 ml and keep aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pressure cooker and roast the cashew nuts. Keep them aside.
4. Now heat the remaining ghee and add rice into it. Keep on stirring for 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Slowly add the reduced milk into it and keep on stirring for sometime.
6. When milk starts boiling, close the lid of pressure cooker and allow one or two whistles.
7. Switch off the gas and allow releasing the pressure.
8. After opening the lid, add sugar, water and cardamom powder and mix well.
9. Switch on the gas and allow the payasam to boil for 10 minutes under slow to medium flame.
10. Finally switch off the gas and garnish with roasted cashews.
11. Allow to cool the paal payasam for some time and serve it.