Recently I bought a rice cooker for my kitchen. Yes I am a bit fond of kitchen appliances though I like the traditional methods as well. However, sometimes I feel wherever possible we can take the help of gadgets to make life more simpler. Coming back to the recipe– I have used rice cooker to prepare Jeera Rice however you can prepare on stove top also.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 11/2 to 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch
Clove – 2
Cardamom – 1
1. Clean and soak the rice for 20 minutes and later drain the water.
2. Now heat a large pan and add ghee.
3. Next add cinnamon stick, cardamom and clove into the ghee. Add jeera and wait foe them to crackle and change the colour into dark brown.
4. Finally add rice into the pan and coat properly with ghee.
Rice Cooker Method (Electric)
5. Now add the rice along with spices into the rice cooker pot and add water as required. I have added 2 cups water for each cup of rice. Add salt at this time. Cover it with lid and switch on the plug and put on Cook function. Once it is cooked the Cook function automatically goes up to the warm function. Then switch off it and serve hot.
Stove Top Method
5. Add water as required. Normally 2 to 21/2 cup of water is enough for 1 cup of rice. Add salt at this time. Cover it with a lid and wait till the rice cooks and bubble arrive on the top creating holes on the rice. At this time water in the pan should be dried up completely. Serve hot with your favourite side dish.