Even my better half love jamun however when we came to Bangalore Jamun used to be very expensive and rarely available during season. This year it is totally different scene. I could see jamun everywhere and cheap too. We (including me) had enough of it and this is almost end of July and still they are available in the market. I had jamuns this time thinking of its health benefits. It is very good for diabetic people.
As it was avaialble in the market we used to buy a lot and I tried recipes with it. Few days back I shared the recipe of Jamun Oats Smoothie Bowl. This time I thought of preparing a drink using jamun. The only problem is you have to be patient while de-seeding the jamun. While de-seeding wear apron or be careful of spilling its juice on your dress. The stain does not go very easily. Try this recipe of Jamun Shots which is perfect during summer days. Even I like the taste of this drink. I think addition of salt and lemon juice create the magic.
Jamun / Indian Black Berry – 12 to 15 nos
Chilled Water – 11/2 cup
Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon
Sugar – 1 tablespoon (Optional)
Black Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Lemon wedges – 1 or 2
Salt – 2 to 3 tablespoon for garnishing
Mint Sprig – for garnishing
1. Clean and de-seed the jamuns and take them in a blender.
2. Now add sugar, black salt and 1 cup of water in the blender and blend together.
3. Pour it in a tall glass and add remaining water and lemon juice and mix well.
4. Spread the salt in a plate.
5. Take a lemon wedge and rub it on the brim of shot glasses.
6. Next place each shot glass upside down in the salt. Salt will stuck on the edge of the glass creating a ring of salt.
7. Now pour the drink in each glass and garnish with mint sprig.
NB: You can also add ice cubes to the drink however I have used chilled water hence avoided it. If you want you can avoid sugar in the drink.