This is specially prepared during the occasion of Kathigai deepam however this sweet balls can be prepared any time through out the year. Actually nei appam could be a healthy snacks for kids which contains jaggery instead of sugar.
Instant Nei Appam
Wheat Flour/Atta – 1/4 cup
Rice Flour – 1/3 cup
Fine Rava – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Water – 1/2 cup (for jaggery syrup) + as reqd
Cooking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Elachi powder – a generous pinch
Coconut grated – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Refined oil for frying the appams – 3 to 4 tablespoon (or as required)
1. Take jaggery in a pan and add 1/2 cup water and mix until it dissolves well.
2. Now heat it until the bubbles come and strain the syrup once it becomes honey like consistency.
3. In another bowl take wheat flour, rava or sooji and rice flour and mix well.
4. Next add the jaggery syrup to this dry mixture and mix well so that there should not be any lumps.
5. Now it’s time to adjust the consistency of the batter by adding some water. Batter should be like our dosa batter in consistency.
6. Now add grated coconut, cardamom powder into it and keep aside.
7. Finally add baking soda and mix it well when you are ready to prepare the appams.
8. Heat paniyaram pan and add few drops of oil in each hole of the pan.
9. Take a ladle full of batter and add in each hole. Cover the pan for few minutes and turn over the other side and cook for few more minutes until it turns brown.
10. Now take them out carefully and serve hot.