Can anyone identify this vegetable??
I know many of you have not seen it before…
This is ‘Indian Olive’, in Bengali we call it Jalpai (which might remind our(bongs) childhood story ‘Obak Jalpan’). This is sour in taste but you can prepare a delicious chutney using Indian Olive (Jalpai). Jalpai r chutney is one of my favourite dish. Recently, I got here in Bangalore, HAL market which is heaven for almost all bongs. After coming back from market I dialed my mom’s number to know the recipe and prepared on the same day. Here is the recipe of exotic Indian Olive Chutney (Jalpai r Chutney).
Indian Olive Chutney / Jalpai r Chutney
Olive – 200 gm
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Mustard seed paste – 2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 11/2 teaspoon
Dry red chilli – 2
Mustard Seeds – 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Mustard oil – 1 tablespoon
Raisin – 8 to 10
1. Cut olives in to three pieces vertically and deseed olives.
2. Now boil them and drain the water. After cooling mash the olives. Keep them aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seed and dry red chilli. Allow them to spatter.
4. Next add mashed olives and sprinkle turmeric powder and salt over them.
5. Then add mustard seed paste and mix well. Add water if required.
6. After 5 minutes add sugar and cook on medium flame. Stir in between.
7. When the gravy texture turns to sticky switch off the gas. You can garnish it with raisin and after cooling serve it.