Nutrient rich with energy dense ingredients
- You are not aware of the sources of each ingredients.
- Most of the store bought trail mix contains sugar coated nuts which are not good for health.
- Ingredients are roasted in hydrogenated oils in most of the cases.
- They use salt to make it salty in taste and you are not aware of the quality of salt used here.
- Moreover, store-bought trail mix packs are heavy for your pocket and mostly available in bulk amount.
What are the common ingredients of trail mix?
Additional fun stuffs: Apart from nuts, dried fruits and seeds, you can also add some fun stuffs to make your trail mix more interesting. You can add chocochips, M&Ms, popcorns, butterscotch chips, pretzels, etc. However, if you want to make a healthy trail mix avoid adding any fun stuffs or additional ingredients.
Do I need to roast the nuts and seeds before adding them to trail mix?
It is not mandatory to roast the nuts and seeds before adding them to trail mix, you can add raw nuts and seeds. However, I prefer to roast the nuts and seeds so that they remain crunchy and increases the shelf life. Avoid roasting them in oil, instead dry roast them for few minutes. After that allow to cool them and add to prepare your trail mix.
|Healthy Trail Mix|
Should I add salt and sugar in my trail mix?
Store-bought trail mix contains added salt and sugar. Hence, when you are preparing at home, it’s better to avoid adding salt and sugar to make the trail mix healthy. If you want you can add spices to add an extra flavour to your trail mix. You can season the mixture with sea salt, ground ginger, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder or cayenne pepper to make it flavourful.
After preparing the trail mix, store it in a dry air-tight container in a cool and dry place. It is good if you store in a glass jar for example mason jar.
Recipes you can make with Trail mix
Trail mix itself is a good snacking option. If you are making a large quantity of trail mix you can also use it to prepare other snacking options.
- You can make chocolate (dark or white chocolate) bark using your homemade trail mix mixture
- Homemade trail mix can be added while you are making your granola bar or energy bars.
- You can use it as topping while baking a homemade loaf cake or muffin.
- They come handy when you are making some no bake truffles.
After knowing the benefits let’s learn how to make trail mix. It’s kind of a DIY weekend project! Check the ingredients given here and if you don’t have all of them try to get them otherwise you can do it your way with less ingredients over the weekend and pack it in a small box and carry to your office on Monday morning. While your stomach starts growling at 4 pm you can snack healthy on your trail mix and stop your binge eating habit. These days the major problem is travel time especially in Tier I & 2 cities. So keep a box of trail mix in your bag which will be helpful while you travel.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1. Dry roast almonds, cashews, walnuts, sunflower seeds and melon seeds each separately and aloow to cool down.