How did you spent your festival last week? It was a lovely long weekend. We were busy at the same time had wonderful family time. We, Bengalis celebrate Poush Sankranti and on these special occasion I prepared dudh puli or dudh pithe and given to friends and neighbours. One of my neighbour liked it very much. Friday night we had a lovely get together at my husband’s friend’s house. We tasted some great foods from Mangalore as the friend’s wife is from Mangalore. Saturday we had a family get together and Sunday we were busy arranging things for our daughter’s 4th birthday on Monday. Yesterday it was our daughter’s birthday and the lucky day was well spent with a small kid’s party.
Coming back to today’s post, it is a vegetarian starter dish very well known name hara bhara kebab. Now you will get fresh spinach or palak, green peas in the market. You can prepare this easy starter at your own kitchen and surprise your family members. Very less oil has been used to prepare this kebab so along with the goodness of green veggies, it is healthy too as the recipe calls for less oil.
Hara Bhara Kebab / Green Kebab
Spinach leaves – 11/2 cup
Potatoes – 2 medium, boiled & mashed
Green Peas – 2/3 cup, fresh or frozen
Green chillies – 1 teaspoon,chopped
Ginger – 11/2 teaspoon, chopped
Fresh coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons, chopped
Chaat masala – 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Cornflour/ corn starch – 2 to 3 tablespoons
Oil – 2 to 3 tablespoon
1. Blanch spinach leaves with little salt for five minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
2. Boil the green peas for few minutes and drain the water.
3. Now take blanched spinach, green peas, chopped ginger and green chilli in a blender and make a smooth paste.
4. After that take mashed potato and green paste together in a bowl.
5. Add chopped coriander leaves, salt to taste, and chaat masala in to the mixture. Also add corn flour for binding.
6. After mixing the mixture well, make small balls from this mixture and press them with your palm to give the shape of kebab.
7. Now heat little oil in non stick pan and shallow fry the tikkis over medium flame until both the sides are light brown in colour. Serve them with any dip or salad.