I got the chicken leg pieces from market and was thinking to prepare fried chicken. Suddenly I remember a platter which we had last year during our visit to USA. We were staying at Milpitas and there was a restaurant named Dishdash with Middle-East delicacies. There we had a platter which had chicken kebabs, saffron rice and sliced fruits ( especially persimmon). I thought of preparing similar platter by tweaking here and there. Instead of chicken kebab my platter had grilled chicken. I replaced saffron rice with basmati rice tossed with butter and instead fruits I kept some grilled colourful vegetables. This grilled chicken with rice and assorted veggies is a complete meal. It has a portion of carbs along with the hint of fat, a portion of protein and lot of minerals and vitamins.
I have used leg pieces however you can use chicken breast piece too. More you marinate the chicken will become more juicy from inside with lot of flavours. I have used the same pan for the grilling of veggies and tossing of rice. The reason behind it is when you cook the chicken its flavour remain in the pan so your veggies and rice become more flavourful.
Preparation Time: 2 Hrs
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Grilled Chicken with Rice and Assorted Veggies
Chicken Leg Pieces – 4
Basmati Rice – 11/2 cup
Green Capsicum – cut into blocks, 1/2 cup
Yellow Bell Pepper – cut into blocks, 1/2 cup
Red Bell Pepper – cut into blocks, 1/2 cup
Broccoli – 8 to 10 broccoli florets
Carrot – one big, cut into 2 inch long strips
Butter – 1 tablespoon
Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves, grated
White Vinegar – 3 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoon
Oregano – 1 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder – 2 teaspoon
Olive Oil – 3 tablespoon
1. Clean the chicken pieces and drain the water properly.
2. Marinate them with lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper powder, grated garlic, oregano and 1 tablespoon of oil.
3. Allow to keep the marination for minimum 2 hours. You can marinate and keep them in refrigerator for overnight.
4. In a bowl take one tablespoon vinegar, lemon juice, salt and black pepper powder and mix well.
5. Marinate the veggies with this mixture for 10 minutes.
6. Wash and soak the basmati rice for 20 minutes.
7. Later drain the water and cook the rice.
8. Once the rice is 80% done, drain the water and spread the rice in plates and sprinkle little salt over it.
9. Take a grilled non-stick pan and add 2 tablespoon of oil.
10. Add the chicken pieces and cook them over slow flame. Cover the pan with the lid.
11.After some time (7 mins) turn the pieces and brush little more oil and cook again. Cook the chicken pieces properly until they are done and get the grilling effects from all the sides.
12. Along with the chicken pieces you can also add the veggies in the same grilling pan. Keep an eye on the vegetables to avoid burning.
13. Turn the vegetables whenever required. Take them out in a plate.
14. Once the chicken and vegetables are grilled, add butter in the pan a and toss the cooked basmati rice.
15. Take a plate and serve the grilled chicken with rice and assorted veggies.