Christmas celebration has started and every nook and corner has been decked up with festive decors and colors. People are totally in holiday mood and relaxing last few days of the year with friends and families. Now Christmas has become a secular holiday season around the world. Celebration is not complete without good food!Every kitchen is filled with aroma of cakes, cookies and other baked goodies. I am not far behind in this celebration.
I don my apron and decided to bake some Christmas special cookies. First thing came to my mind is making of Jam Drop Cookies. These Jam Drop Cookies are also known as thumbprint cookies or Jam filled thumbprint cookies. After making the round shape cookie you just have press the middle of the cookie with your thumb which creates an indent (dent). Fill the jam here using a small spoon. If the dent is not deep enough and quantity of jam is more then there is a chance to spread the jam but that doesn’t alter the taste of the cookie.
Here I am sharing the eggless version of the Jam Drop Cookie. Some people prepare Jam drop cookie using eggs. Eggless Jam Drop Cookie recipe contains either corn starch or custard powder. The reason behind this is addition of corn starch or custard powder gives you a tender melt-in-mouth texture to the cookie. While I was going through the other recipes I saw few of them are made only all purpose flour. Though I have not tried it but you can try both and share the feedback which one is better.
I have used mixed fruit jam as it goes well with the vanilla flavour and it looks great too especially red colour jam is according to the theme of Christmas. However, you can use any flavour of jam and any flavour of custard powder.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 24 to 26 (It depends on the size you are making)
Eggless Jam Drop Cookies or Thumbprint Cookies or
Vanilla Flavoured Jam Drop Cookies
All purpose Flour – 2 cups
Custard Powder (Vanilla Flavour) – 1 cup
Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
Cooking Butter – 100 gms
Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
Mixed Fruit Jam- 1/2 cup
Milk – 2/3 cup
1. Take all purpose flour in a bowl. Sieve baking powder with all purpose flour.
2. Now add custard powder in to it and mix well. You can use any flavour of custard powder.
3. In another bowl, add melted butter and mix sugar powder into this.
4. Now add the flour mixer into it and add milk as required to make a smooth dough.
5. Next take out lemon size balls from the dough and press between your palms. Press the middle of the cookie with finger and put a drop of jam on that.
6. Preheat oven at 180 degree C for 5 minutes.
7. Prepare a baking tray (avoid black colour tray) lining with a butter paper and keep the cookies on it. Bake them for 12 to 14 minutes and serve this crispy cookies. (Adjust time and temperature depending on your oven’s nature).
8. Allow them to cool and later you can store them in an air tight container.