Eggless Cumin Lentil Cookies are unique in taste and texture. The addition of red lentil makes the cookies healthy and nutritious. I have used very less sugar in this recipe and added a bit more salt. Like the usual Jeera/Cumin cookies, this is a savoury cookie which tastes little salty and little sweet. This goes very well with the evening tea. This is an eggless recipe so vegetarian can also enjoy them. The texture of this cookie is bit crunchy. In every bite, you get the taste of cumin and lentil which is irresistible.
Eggless Cumin Lentil Cookies
Red Lentil / Masoor Dal – 1/2 cup
Water – 11/2 cup
Unsalted Butter – 1/2 cup, melted
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds – 1 tablespoon
Curd – 11/2 tablespoon
- Wash the lentil/dal and put in the pressure cooker along with 11/2 cup water. Wait for 2 to 3 whistles under medium heat or until the dal is boiled properly.
- Allow to release the pressure and mash the dal. Allow it to cool and take a 1/4th cup of boiled and mashed dal to be used in the cumin lentil cookies recipe.
- Dry roast cumin seeds for 1 to 2 minutes and keep aside.
- Take melted butter in a big bowl and add sugar into it and mix well.
- Next, add curd into the bowl and beat well with the other butter and sugar.
- Add 1/4th cup of boiled and mashed dal and mix well again.
- Now add the dry ingredients including flour, salt, baking soda and cumin seeds into wet mixture and make a smooth dough. If the dough is too dry you can add some boiled lentil/dal.
- Allow resting the dough in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes with a cling film.
- After that preheat the oven at 180 degree C for 5 minutes and line a cookie/baking tray with a butter paper.
- Roll the dough by dusting flour and thickness should be the almost 1/4th inch.
- Cut them into desired shapes using a cookie cutter and place them on lined cookie tray.
- Bake the cookies at 180 degree C for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Allow them to cool and store them in an airtight container.