My earlier banana loaf was also an eggless and butter less cake. However, this eggless banana walnut cake is healthier as I have not used all purpose flour instead, I have used wholewheat flour. If you are conscious about calorie intakes then this is a butter-free cake and you would love the texture of this cake. Though earlier I have tried eggless butter less cakes but never had the courage to try completely sugarfree cakes. Yes you read it correct! It’s a sugar free cake and I have used jaggery as an alternative option for sweetness and I will try to bake more using jaggery. It gave a beautiful colour to my cake. Walnut is a superfood and you will love the crunch of the walnut in the bake.
Before moving to the recipe of this decadent cake filled with good ness, let’s learn the tips and tricks of baking this cake. How did plan for this cake and How did I executed my plan of baking this moist cake.
Which type of Banana should I use to bake a banana cake?
While baking a banana cake the most important ingredient is banana. So you have to choose a perfect overripe banana. Use the large banana (robusta) variety which is perfect for baking a cake. Robusta variety of banana has its own taste which it imparts in the cake. Smaller varieties of banana are not perfect when you are preparing a banana cake.
How to add the bananas in the cake batter?
This is a common question people often ask how do we add the banana in the cake. Basically, they want to know how we mash the banana before adding it to batter. Earlier I suggested to make puree in a blender. However, if your blender’s blade is not in a good condition you might found lumps in between. Use fork to mash the bananas in a separate bowl before adding it into your batter.
How to add jaggery in the cake batter?
Jaggery is sold as a block; however, nowadays jaggery powder is also available so you can used that. However, I have used a jaggery block and before adding it into the batter I have grated it finely using a grater and the cake turned out pretty well.
How to add curd in the cake batter?
Avoid adding the curd directly to the batter, it may form lumps. Take the curd in a separate bowl and beat it before adding to the batter.
What is the shelf life of Eggless Banana Walnut Cake?
You can store the cake in room temperature for 3 to 4 days. The shelf-life is more when you store it in refrigerator.
Can I bake this cake in Microwave?
I often get this question that whether I can bake in my microwave oven. If you have microwave with convection then you can definitely bake it on convection mode. Let me tell I have baked mine in microwave convection mode and I absolutely the love the texture of the cake. It’s not too dense not too fluffy.
Also read about Top 10 winter cake recipes here
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 mins (approx.)
Servings: 6 to 8
Eggless Banana Walnut Cake
Wholewheat flour – 2cups
Baking Powder -11/4 teaspoon
Baking Soda – 1/4 teaspoon
Banana (Robust Variety) – 2 (ripen)
Curd – 1/4 cup
Vegetable Oil – 3/4 cup
Jaggery – grated, 1/2 cup
Walnuts – Crushed, 2 to 3 tablespoon
Milk – 2 tablespoon (optional)
1. Preheat oven at 170 degree C and line a cake mold with butter paper and keep aside.
2. Sieve wholewheat flour, baking powder and baking soda together and keep aside.
3. Peel the overripe bananas and take in a bowl. Mash them using a fork until they are smooth.
4. In another bowl take oil and grated jaggery and mix well.
5. Beat the curd in another bowl and add to the wet mixture. Mix it well.
6. Add the mashed banana into the wet mixture and mix it well.
7. Now it’s time to fold the dry ingredients into wet ingredients. At this moment, if you see the batter is too dry, add milk slowly and fold it.
8. Add 1 tablespoon of crush walnuts into the batter and mix.
9. Now pour the batter in the lined mold and add the remaining walnuts on top.
10. Bake it at 170 degree for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
11. Allow to cool the cake and slice and serve it. You can also store it for 3 to 4 days at room temperature.
PIN it to read later: