Today I am not going to share any tricolor food howgoing to share a traditional Sindhi recipe, Dal Pakwan . Dal is made of chana dal / split yellow gram dal and pakwan is a type of deep fried crispy flatbread. Both dal and pakwan complements each other and together they make a single dish dal pakwan. This is a no onion no garlic dish.
Chana Dal/ Split Yellow Gram Dal – 1 cup
Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
Dry Mango Powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Refine Oil – 2 tablespoon
Maida / All purpose flour – 11/2 cup
Refined oil – 2 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Kalonji / Nigella Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Oil for deep frying ( 3 to 4 cups)
1. Wash and soak chana dal for 30 minutes.
2. Now take dal in pressure cooker and add finely chopped ginger, turmeric powder and salt. Add water (11/2 cup or little more than that) and allow two whistle on medium to high flame. Dal should be cooked but not mashed.
3. Now add other dry spices in the dal and mix well.
4. Next heat oil in a pan and add it in the dal.
1. Take maida, sal, oil and kalonji in a bowl and knead a smooth dough. Allow to rest the dough for 1 hour.
2. Take out lemon size of balls and roll them to round circle of 4 to 5 cm diameter. Now make small cut marks in that round circle using a knife. This is because while frying it should not puff up like poori.
3. Now deep fry them in oil until golden and crispy. Serve hot dal pakwan.