Bread rolls I had first time in my college life. One of my hostel mate prepared and we all relished it. That time I had very limited knowledge about cooking. I have seen my friend how quickly she prepared the stuffing and later the bread rolls. I still remember the taste. Normally, whenever there is leftover bread I prepare bread pakora. But this time I decided to prepare this delicious bread roll with stuffed potato. You might think what is so special about this simple bread rolls. Let me tell you, it has the magic on its outer coating which is made of bread. The outer coating of bread gives it a crispy yet light feeling. Inside it is our favourite (read everyone’s favourite) potato filling.
Before we hop on to the recipe let’s learn more about bread roll.
What is bread roll or stuffed bread roll?
Bread roll or more specifically stuffed bread roll is a popular Indian snack item. Sliced bread is stuffed with spicy potato filling and deep fried in oil till golden brown and crisp and serve it with ketchup or green coriander chutney.
What are the different stuffing options for bread roll?
Normally, the bread rolls are stuffed with a savoury potato filling; however, you can stuff anything of your choice starting from paneer, soya granules, mushroom, mixed vegetables (including beetroot, carrot, green peas, beans etc.). Also there are nonvegetarian options of chicken keema, basa or bhetki fish, mutton mince, prawns etc. You will relish the bread roll with any stuffing of your choice. These are the savoury options of stuffing if someone has sweet tooth can make sondesh or khoya stuffed bread roll too.
This time I had done potato stuffing, I have a plan of making paneer bread rolls, soya bread rolls even chicken bread rolls. You can stuff anything of your choice.
Instead of deep frying in oil, can I use air-fryer to cook the bread roll?
Normally, the bread roll is deep fried in oil however, you can also use air-fryer to cook the bread roll and this is a healthier option than frying. You can also bake the bread rolls in oven.
How to serve bread rolls?
Bread rolls are best served as snacks or started with green chutney or tomato ketchup. It can also be served with any other dip for example: cream cheese or mayonnaise. You can also serve it with evening tea or coffee.
Bread roll is a very good party starter and snacks. You can prepare them in beforehand and later you can fry when your guests arrive. You can even fry them and keep it to save time and later just heat up in microoven and serve to your guests.
How to prepare Bhaja Masla?
Here is the quickest way to prepare bhaja masla and its really handy. Take cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and black pepper powder in 2:2:1:1 ratio and dry roast it till the colour changes to dark brown. Allow it to cool and store in a air-tight container for future use.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serving: 4 to 6
Bread Rolls with Stuffed Potato
Ingredients (4 to 6 numbers)
Potato – boiled, 3 medium size
Onion – chopped, 1 medium size
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Green Chilli – chopped, 1/2 teaspoon
Bhaja Masla – 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Roasted cumin powder – 11/2 teaspoon
Chaat Masala -1/2 to 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Black salt to sprinkle on top
White bread – 4 to 6 nos
Milk – 1/2 cup
Refine oil for frying
1. Mash the boiled potato and keep aside.
2. Now heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
3. Once they start crackling add onions for frying. After 3 to 4 minutes add chopped green chilli, green peas, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, bhaja masla, and salt.
4. Mix them well and add mashed potato. Mix all the spices together with mashed potato If required add little water, and when the mixture becomes dry switch off the gas and allow it for cooling.
Steps to prepare the roll
1. In the mean time, remove the brown crust of bread from all four sides.
2. Now take milk in a bowl and dip the bread in milk lightly and gently. Immediately remove it and squeeze out the milk by keeping it one palm and pressing with other palm.
3. After that place a spoon full of stuffing at the middle of the bread and roll it using your hands and keep it on a plate. Do not forget to join all the edges, otherwise the stuffing will come out while frying.
4. Allow the bread to absorb milk however, it should not absorb too much water. Likewise make the other bread rolls. Keep them in a plate for 20 minutes to half an hour. After that, deep fry the bread rolls, sprinkle black salt on top and serve with tomato ketchup.
PS: Instead of milk you can also use water, however I have experienced better outcome with milk.