I am writing after a long gap and I would like to thank all the readers for your patience. New year 2016 started but somehow it started with some sad news! First of all the terror attack in Pathankot and then earthquake in North-East India! 2015 ended with sad note of Chennai flood and we all had a great hope to start a new year with a positive note. However, looking at these incidents I pray to Almighty God for healthy, happy and peaceful year ahead. I salute those brave hearts who secure our daily lives. As a nation we should stand against terrorism and widen the victory of humanity.
I went for a long vacation to attend a family wedding and after coming back I was busy arranging things. Still many things are yet to arrange however I felt I am ignoring my blog as well as blog readers! I felt guilty and immediately took my laptop and writing this post. How was your vacation (assuming you also had few days holiday for Christmas & New Year). Today I am sharing a simple snack or starter recipe which is an authentic Bengali dish, it is none other than Beguni or Eggplant Fritters. In Bengal, it is served with puffed rice as evening snack and with Khichdi as starter :).
Beguni / Bengali Style Beguni / Eggplant Fritters
Long Purple Big Size Eggplant/Brinjal – 1
Besan/Gram Flour – 11/2 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cooking Soda – a pinch
Black Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Oil for deep fry
Rice flour- 1 tablespoon (optional)
1. Cut the eggplant/brinjal vertically into thin long pieces. See the Picture.
2. Marinate them with little salt and keep for 15 minutes.
3. On the other hand, take gram flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cooking soda and salt in a bowl. Add required water to make the batter. Consistency of the batter should be medium. You can also add a teaspoon of rice flour to make it more crispy.
4. Heat mustard oil for deep frying. When the oil is hot, add a teaspoon of oil in the batter and mix it.
5. Now coat the eggplants in the batter and deep fry till golden colour. Serve hot as snack or starter.