Bata Mach er Jhal / Labeo Bata in Mustard Gravy
Bata Mach – 4 to 6 numbers
Mustard Oil – 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – 2 teaspoon
Mustard Paste – 2 to 3 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Tomato – 1 small, chopped
Green Chilli – 2 to 3
Chopped Coriander – handful (optional)
Nigella Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
1. Clean the fish and marinate with salt, turmeric powder and a teaspoon of mustard oil.
2. After marinating for 30 minutes, heat oil in a pan and fry the fishes and keep aside.
3. Reduce the oil and keep 1 tablespoon of oil in pan.
4. Add a teaspoon of nigella seeds and add chopped tomatoes. Cook them well and add remaining turmeric, salt to taste and sugar.
5. Now take the mustard paste in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of water. Beat well. After beating, the skin of mustard will go down (sediment), so take the upper portion of the mixture and add into pan. If you add the bottom part it might give you bitter taste.
6. Add 1/2 cup of water in to pan and allow to boil. Add the green chillies and fried fish. After adding the fish boil for 2 to 3 minutes and switch off the gas. Add 1 teaspoon of mustard oil from top and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve it with white rice.