If you feel scrapping of coconut, then preparation of stuffing and after that making gujiyas is a long process. You can make a shortcut of the process. No I am cutting down any steps. You just do this in two days. Scrapping coconut and filling preparation can be done in one day. Store the filling in refrigerator and next day you can prepare the pastry shell, stuff and bake them. Only thing take out the stuffing from refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before using it. Isn’t it really easy for you??
Baked Gujiya / Gujiya stuffed with Coconut
Coconut – scrapped, 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Cashew – roasted and crushed, 2 tablespoon
Milk – 1 to 2 tablespoon
Condensed Milk – 2 tablespoon
For Outer Covering
Maida/All purpose Flour – 1 cup
Ghee – 2 tablespoon + 2 tablespoon for brushing & greasing
Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking Soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Milk – 2 tablespoon
1. Take scrapped coconut in a grinder and add 2 tablespoon of milk, make a smooth paste.
2. Now take the coconut paste and sugar in wok mix well and heat the wok. Stir continuously till the sugar melts.
3. The mixture will become sticky in nature, at that time add condensed milk mix well.
4. Now the mixture will leave the sides of the wok that means it is ready. Add roasted cashew init and mix. If you wish you can also add a pinch of cardamom powder. Allow the mixture to cool.
5. For the pastry shell, sieve flour, baking soda and salt in a plate. Add ghee in that mixture and make a dough just like poori (add water as required). Allow to rest the dough by covering with a damp cloth for half an hour.
6. Divide the dough into equal lemon size balls. Roll each ball like poori and put coconut stuffing in the middle and close it such a way it should be half circle or crescent in shape. Seal the edges properly and using a fork secure the sealed edges by making imprints of fork. Do this step for remaining balls.
7. Now take the gujiyas in a baking tray (greased with little ghee) and brush them ghee on both the sides.
8. Put them in preheated (180 degree C for 10 minutes) for 15 to 20 minutes. In between, turn the other side and brush little ghee.
9. Once they are properly baked brush little milk on the gujiyas and bake for 1 to 2 minutes to get nice golden colour.
10. After cooling, store them in airtight container.