Button mushrooms – 250 gms
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Onion seeds (kalonji) – 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds (saunf)- 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) – 1/4 teaspoon
Ginger Paste – 11/2 teaspoon
Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Black salt (kala namak) – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Mustard oil – 3 tablespoons
Vinegar – 3 tablespoons
1. Clean and wipe the mushrooms. Now separate the stems and caps of the button mushroom. Chopped the stems and keep them aside. Now cut the caps longitudinally either into two or four pieces depending on the size.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, onion seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and sauté on low heat.
3. Next add chopped onion and chopped mushroom stems. Mix well and add ginger & garlic paste.
4. After that add mushroom caps and cook on medium heat. Next add spice powders including red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black salt, salt and give a good toss.
5. When the mushrooms are cooked add vinegar and cook till almost dry.