Welcoming New Year with a Summer Delight Recipe
This week and coming week people throughout India will celebrate the occasion of welcoming New Year of their region. Every Indian state has their own story behind the New Year celebration and people of various parts of the country celebrate New Year as per their traditional calendar. Ugadi (Karnataka & Andhra Pradesh), Gudi Padwa (Maharastra & Goa), Puthandu (Tamilnadu), Vishu (Kerala), Cheti Chand (Sindhi), Nabo Barsho/Poila Baishakh (Bengali), Baisakhi (Punjabi) and many more will be celebrated in these days. We cannot imagine Indian festivals without sweet. Mitha to banta hi hain! So I am sharing a sweet dish recipe which is also a summer delight. Yes, I am talking about “Aam Sandesh” or “Mango Cheese Sweet.” I wish all my reader a Happy New Year.
Aam Sandesh / Mango Sondesh
Ripe Mango – 2
Milk – 1litre
Sugar – 1/2 cup, (adjust according to your taste)
Milk Powder – 1/4 cup
Lemon – 1 or 2
How to make Chena
1. Boil the milk and add lemon juice into it and wait for the milk to curdle.
2. Now cool it and drain the whey to take out the chena or cottage cheese.
3. Take a muslin clothe and put the chena in to it and squeeze out all the extra moisture from the chhana. If necessary use a heavy weight on it and it will help to drain the water from chena.See the page how to make chena.
4. Knead it for 5minutes to get a smooth dough.
5. Peel the mango skin, de-seed it and take out the pulp. Add mango pulp, milk powder and sugar into chena and knead for few minutes till all the ingredients mixes well.
6. Heat a pan and cook the mixture till all the excess moisture dries up. Keep on stirring the mixture. Switch off the gas and allow it to cool.
7. Once it is cooled grease your hand with ghee and shape them as desired or you can use moulds to give various designs. Put cashew or kismis as toppings and serve it to your guests on occasions.