Frequent power cuts in Bangalore are disrupting our daily life very badly! Since last two weeks this a burning issue among all Bangolerans. BESCOM says there is a massive power shortage which is the reason behind unscheduled power cuts throughout the day. At times when I am writing the blogpost and everything is done and about to post it, power goes off along with my broadband connection too. All the electrical gadgets along with smart phones are having their bad time. I realized we are so dependent on gadgets that every moment we are facing difficulties. So it is really miserable and I am praying for the normal 24*7 power supply days.
Due to power cuts, the baking has taken a back seat however I observed the nature of power cut and noted once power comes back it stays for an hour. Accordingly I prepared the batter and once the power came my oven was preheated and I baked this simple eggless milk powder cake.
When you are preparing the batter use less sugar as milk powder will contribute to the sweetness. I have not used any essence because I liked the flavour of milk powder and wanted it as the dominating flavour. If you want you can use vanilla or rose essence.
All Purpose Flour - 11/2 cups
Milk Powder - 1 cup
Unsalted Butter - 3/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Baking Powder - 11/2 teaspoon
Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
Milk - 1/2 to 2/3 cup
1. Sieve plain flour, milk powder, baking powder and baking soda.
2. Now take melted butter in a bowl and add sugar into it. Beat them together.
3. Next fold the flour mixture and milk alternatively. Line a cake pan and pour the mixture into it.
4. Preheat the oven at 180 degree C for 10 minutes and bake the cake for 25 minutes or till a needle inserted comes out clean.
5. Allow it to cool and then cut into pieces and serve with tea or coffee.